Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Dora The Explorer: Dora's Talking Kitchen with 5 Recipe Adventure Maps and 44 Talking Phrases


Features:
Dora's Talking Kitchen brings Dora's adventures into kitchen role play
28 play pieces, 7 recipe adventure maps, bilingual phrases, music and sound effects
Life-size Dora cooks right along with your child
UL Listed
39Hx45Wx16D"

For my daughter's 2nd birthday, she received the Disney Princess Talking Kitchen. It was cute but started falling apart in about 6 months. When I saw the Dora kitchen in the stores, I knew that she would love it. She's almost 3 now and I must say she plays with this almost every day.

The kitchen components are made of plastic and while they are not as thick as a Little Tykes kitchen, they are definitely better than the Princess kitchen. It took me about 45 minutes to assemble this with no assistance.

It is somewhat small width-wise and sits flush against a wall. Two toddlers (or 4 year olds) could easily stand side by side and play together. There is a refrigerator with "pictures" of Dora and Boots and you can slide in your own photos on top of Dora. This also comes with a cooktop, and oven plus 3 cards that slide into the recipe slot at the top of the kitchen.

The food and accessories are also excellent and help the child incorporate those recipe cards so they can "make" Cowboy Cookies, Empanadas and a couple of other dishes.

As far as the limited sounds and the disappointment that many are expressing, I'm quite happy. But I'm also a big believer that today's toys rely too heavily on electronics and batteries and take away from a child using their own imagination. My kids have repeatedly asked where the batteries go (in other toys) and the other day, my almost 3 year old held up a stuffed animal and asked "what does this do?". But I digress.

Dora says some phrases in English and Spanish and will prompt your child to gather ingredients for those recipes.

I'm also eager to get the other food sets that just came out for this kitchen.



Dora's Talking Kitchen with 5 Recipe Adventure Maps and 44 Talking Phrases

No comments: